Thursday, January 22

Life...


Have you ever noticed how people come together and work together when there is a life on the line? It never ceases to amaze me how compassionate people can be when times get tough. Take today for an example, we have a small school farm and have a first calf heifer that became a cow today. This is her story.... at 8:30 am- no sign of going into labor, really and truthfully there wasn't much sign of her milking even coming in. 11:15 am- spotted by a construction worker who noticed that she was in labor and was having difficulties who called the office. The secretary (love to Rebecca here) told Chopper who happened to be in the office who RAN the mile or so (okay, maybe not quite that far, but it seems like it!) from the office to my room where my 3rd period class had just walked in the door. All 28 of us went to the farm where we found Annabelle in the lower pasture, where we found Annabelle with a dead calf that was "stuck" for lack of a better turn and couldn't come out. After getting everyone to work together (and finding a cow halter) we were able to get her up to our new squeeze chute (Thank you VIC committee!) where we were able to try to pull the calf. One of my students tried first (he has cows at home and is cow smart) but he couldn't quite get to where he needed to to make it work, I then tried and realized fairly quickly that I lacked the strength to do it. God bless two of our area producers who sent supplies for us to borrow and one was able to come out and pull the calf keeping the cow safe. I have to not only praise these producers, but brag on these students as well. Today is the 2nd day of this semester, and although these are 2nd level students- this is the first time they had witnessed something like this (it's hard to catch an animal giving birth on campus). These students stayed calmed, did whatever we asked of them and were truly helpful. Several even went the extra mile of helping to pull the calf- I can honestly say that this is a day I will never forget in the classroom. I am proud of my students and proud to say I am a member of the community. The producer who was able to help us explained to them what he was feeling and what he was doing so the kids really got a great lesson. What had happened is that when the calf started to present itself, his left leg got twisted underneath his body so that we he "presented" it was only partially correct, because of his shoulder being in the way, she couldn't pass him naturally. Although it would of been nice to have a healthy bull calf born today, and I can honestly say I wish this post was celebrating his birth, I want to emphasize the sense of community and compassion that I witnessed today and say that I am proud to be around and have the opportunity to teach such wonderful students who are going to go far in life. I am so thankful to live and work in a community where being a neighbor means not only being there when times are good- but helping in times of an emergency. These two cattlemen are true examples of those everyday heroes that go unsung, and I feel as though that was brought to light today. Back to the beast (Annabelle), who is unbelievably gentle- we were able to foster a calf of the producer who was able to pull her calf so that her milk doesn't go to waste and that she doesn't (hopefully) get sick. We are fostering this calf until she is weaned, at which time we will return her to the producer. Isn't an amazing thing that even in tragedy, there is good to be celebrated?

1 comment:

Dwayne said...

How cool. What a great experience for the kids!