Monday, November 24

Sausage Breakfast Casserole



This recipe was given to us by Anne S. of the Trott House Inn Bed & Breakfast in Newton, NC. Since all of my "girls" in our wedding were from out-of-town, we rented out the Trott House for a Friday night sleepover before the big day- it was so much fun! Imagine eight girls, plus my Momma and Paula staying up really late the night before and then pampering ourselves all day the next day before the big event! The Trott House also was host to my "bridal breakfast" for my closest girl friends and family members who were helping with the day! There were about 20 of us in all who enjoyed a feast, including this amazing breakfast casserole before we all got "done up" in our wedding finery (okay- so yeah, I was running late to the breakfast since it took 3 1/2 hours to do my hair at 6 am!) Needless to say, every time I eat this dish I remember the best day of my life- celebrated with those I love the most!

  • 8 slices bread, cubed
  • 2 cups grated sharp cheese
  • 1 ½ pounds hot sausage, cooked and drained
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 ½ cups milk
  • ¾ teaspoons dry mustard
  • 1 can cream of mushroom soup, mixed with ½ cup milk

Layer bread cubes in the bottom of a greased rectangular casserole dish. Top with sausage and sprinkle cheese on top. Beat eggs with milk and mustard and pour over previous layers. Refrigerate overnight. In morning preheat oven to 300. Mix soup with milk and pour over top and bake for 1 ½ hours.

2 comments:

PreppyBumpkin said...

I heart your blog! The Gooseberry Patch book I found that was so yummy is "Harvest Kitchen" -- do you have that one?

Love ya!

Poverty Creek Farm said...

Yeah, I was there when we had this stuff. Wow Wow is all I can say!